The YAA Assembly & Yale Alumni Fund Convocation is our signature program for volunteer leaders. Attendees get an inside look at Yale today, honor outstanding volunteers and organizations, and engage with each other and professional staff to share best practices and new ideas.
2020 Assembly & Convocation
Yale Alumni Association Assembly and Yale Alumni Fund Convocation will be virtual this year, with a series of virtual sessions and offerings replacing our usual two-day, in-person event.
To start, join us September 15 at 6 p.m. ET for our kick-off event featuring President Peter Salovey ’86 PhD, Vice President for Alumni Affairs and Development Joan O’Neill, YAA Board of Governors Jerry Henry ’80 MDiv, and Yale Alumni Fund Board of Directors Chair Marla Grossman ’90. They will be followed by a dean's panel moderated by Tamar Gendler '87, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
During this difficult time for communities around the globe, staying connected is more important than ever, so we look forward to our virtual experience.
The 2020 YAA Assembly & Yale Alumni Fund Convocation theme is "The Arts & Humanities at Yale: A legacy of Excellence at Moments of Challenge." Schedule highlights for the year include:
- Kick-off Event; Dean's Panel (September 15, 2020)
- University Update with President Peter Salovey ’86 PhD (October 15, 2020)
- Arts in Conversation: Genevieve Gaignard ’14 MFA (October 21, 2020)
- College Tea with Yale Student Leaders (October 29, 2020)
- Yale Board of Trustees Panel (November 10, 2020)
- Assembly and Convocation Book Groups (November 17-December 16, 2020)
- Yale Medal Celebration (December 8, 2020)
- Volunteer Recognition Events (January 13, 2021)
- Humanists in Thought: Celebrating Yale's Legacy of Excellence and Insight in Moments of Challenge (February 24, 2021)
- Arts at the Intersection: Yale Schwarzman Center (March 2, 2021)
- Re-forming the Anthropocene: The New Building LAB at Yale (March 30, 2021)
- Assembly and Convocation Closing Panel: Yale's Remarkable Collections (April 13, 2021)
Each month’s program will also feature interactive social or networking events.
2020 Assembly & Convocation Highlights
The Assembly & Convocation program traditionally begins with "Meet Me at Mory's" on Wednesday evening, a chance for attendees to socialize and network with fellow volunteers. Registration is open in the evening for early arrivals.
Thursday's program runs the full day, from approximately 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and focuses on a theme related to Yale today. Details about the theme, sessions, and speakers are available in the fall each year.
Friday's program is also a full day, dedicated to leadership development, with sessions related to specific roles and constituencies – such as interest groups or fundraising – as well as skill-building and networking designed to support Yale volunteers regardless of your role.
Throughout the event, you will have an opportunity to honor and celebrate volunteers and organizations being recognized with awards, including the Yale Medal dinner and an evening reception. These events alternate between Thursday and Friday evening, depending on the year.
In addition to the Yale Medal, other awards presented during Assembly/Convocation include: YAA Board of Governors Excellence Awards, YAA Leadership Awards, Yale Alumni Fund Chairman's Awards, and Yale Jefferson Awards for Public Service
While not part of the Assembly/Convocation program, many participants stay in town for the YAA Alumni Village and final home football game on Saturday.