This will be our second time helping to organize non-perishable food items, gathered by postal workers, for the Stamp Out Hunger food drive in Albuquerque. It was great fun, great esprit de corps, and great exercise! The food donations will be sorted into appropriate boxes to be collected by Roadrunner Food Bank and shared by local food distribution throughout the city and state.
Roadrunner requests that each person sign up for the EAST section of town. Note that if you would prefer to work at any of the other sorting venues, please feel free to do so. Just let us know so that we can have an accurate count of alums-in-the-field.
- The loading dock at the Steve Shiff Post Office is covered and partially enclosed, so the event will happen rain or shine.
- Please wear sturdy, comfortable and washable clothing. Closed-toed shoes are a definite MUST at this site.
- Teen and young adult children who are willing and able to help sort the canned goods are more than welcome. Please find alternative care for little ones who can become lost or hurt in the rush to get the goods sorted and boxed.
- Volunteers must be physically able to lift canned goods out of the Post Office’s collection boxes and place/toss them into the enormous Roadrunner transport boxes. If you need a walker for support you can probably manage with one in place.
- The session lasts for two hours and the sorting will go on continuously throughout that time period. If you cannot stay for the entire two hours, any time you give will be appreciated. Just let the site coordinator know when you are leaving.
- You MUST sign an attendance and release form (available at the site for the activity) and, should you wish, a photo release agreement.
Contact: Elizabeth Anne Burki, Ph.D., MSN'69