About the Excellence Awards
Any alumni group may be nominated for the categories that apply to their group affiliation. Awards are not necessarily required to be given every year. No organization can win the same award more than two years in a row and must retire from that category for at least one year before submitting again. The award selection committee will only consider one nomination per alumni group per category or event.
The YAA Board of Governors Excellence Awards recognize the superior accomplishments of Yale College Classes, Regional Clubs, Interest Groups, and Graduate & Professional School Alumni Associations. Nominees should exhibit excellence in results from events, programs, and best practices in alumni relations that benefit Yale. Accomplishments recognized should raise standards and contribute to the growing effectiveness of alumni relations programs at Yale. Nominations may be submitted by any alumna/us. Leaders are strongly encouraged to self-nominate.
Nominations are available for many award categories. To review the award definitions and determine the best fit nomination, please see this document. To self-nominate or to nominate another group, please complete the nomination form.
NOTE: Supplementary material (up to 4 images or 4 pages) may only be included for the visual element central to the nomination for "Best Marketing, Branding and Communications Effort" and "Most Creative Use of Technology and Social Networking Media."
- Call for Nominations: July, due by September
- Selection Process: Early Fall
- Award Presentation: Announce in October and presented at the YAA Assembly and Alumni Fund Convocation in New Haven in November
Nominations for awards can be made by any Yale alumni, including the leaders of the relevant alumni group, or any other alumni who are familiar with its activities. If you are not the leader of the group you would like to nominate, please obtain approval before submitting the nomination. Awards are made at the discretion of the Alumni Association Volunteer Leadership Committee and winning organizations must have representation at the Alumni Association Assembly to receive the award.
General Evaluation Criteria:
- Supports the mission and goals of Yale, the Alumni Association, organization, or school
- Provides evidence of sound planning and implementation
- Demonstrates consultative and broad-based engagement with organization’s leaders
- Incorporates creativity and innovation
- Develops effective and well targeted communications
- Serves as a strong example of other Yale alumni organizations
- Demonstrates wise management of available resources
- Meets and exceeds the needs and expectations of target audiences
- Enhances the reputation of Yale